Skip to main content

LOUIS VAN GAAL:FELLAINI WILL PLAY AS STRIKER THIS SEASON

The Manchester United manager has revealed that he expects the Belgian, usually deployed as a midfielder, to spend most of his time this campaign as an attacker

Louis van Gaal says Marouane Fellaini will play as a striker for Manchester United this season.

Speaking to reporters ahead of their Champions League play-off second leg clash with Club Brugge, Van Gaal said: "He can play as a no.9 and a no.10, and he can also play as a no.6 and no.8.

"This year he will play more as a no.9 and no.10 rather than 6 and 8 because there we have other players."


Fellaini struggled in his first term at Old Trafford under David Moyes but bounced back to have a moderately successful 2014-15 season.

He has missed the first three league games of the current campiagn due to suspension, but snatched a crucial late goal in the first leg with Brugge at Old Trafford to give United a key 3-1 lead.

And the 27-year-old Belgian says he has no quarms about stepping in among the forward line.

"In the past I have played no.9 and no.10. I have to help the team. I can play there," he insisted.

"It's not important where I play, the most important thing is to win the game. Of course it's different but I enjoy all the positions I can play in."
And he added that he is looking forward to backing up his improvement last term with another season of key contributions.

"Everyone knows my first season was difficult, but now it's in the past. I look forward," he added.

"Last season I did quite well and I want to continue. I know my team-mates, the manager and his philosophy. I am looking to do well and score goals."

United take a two-goal lead to the Jan Breydelstadion on Wednesday, but Van Gaal insists his players cannot get ahead of themselves and agreed that this represents their biggest game of the season.

"It was our aim to participate in the Champions League. We are still not there yet, it's very important," he added.

"We have to play the game, at the end you have to have scored one goal more than the opponent. They have beaten Greek opponents [Panathinaikos] 3-0, they are capable of doing that with the suppoot of their fans."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

Who Is Fosuh Mensah?

One For The Future; Fosuh Mensah TIMOTHY FOSUH MENSAH PROFILE Full Name: Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah Date of   Birth: 2 nd January 1998 Place of Birth: Armsterdam , Holland Height: 1.90 m   Playing Position: Defender / Mildfielder Nationality: Holland Mensah's Debut Against Arsenal At Old Traffold In United's 3-2 win Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah is a Dutch professional footballer who plays as a defensive/central mildfielder, centre-back or full-back for English club Manchester United. Born in Armsterdam, Mensah began his career with Ajax before moving to England in 2014. He made his professional debut at left-back on 28 February 2016 in a 3-2 Premier League Win at home to Arsenal replacing Marcos Rojo in the 55 th minute. Manchester United moved to snap up the highly-rated youngster from Ajax in the summer of 2014 beating a host of top European clubs in the process and if he is able to reach his potential, the Red Devils will have a real star on the...