Skip to main content

JOINING CHELSEA WAS A RISK BUT I HAD TO GO: PEDRO TELLS BARCELONA FANS

New Chelsea winger Pedro reveals it was not money but the need to compete with Lionel Messi, Neymar and Luis Suarez for a starting spot at Barcelona that drove him to leave the Catalans.
The La Masia graduate won the treble last season and extended his contract at the club in June till 2019, but regularly had to settle for a spot on the bench as the Blaugrana's famed attacking triumvirate took centre-stage.
A long running transfer saga regarding the 28-year-old's future came to a close when he opted to join Chelsea last Thursday, and Pedro has now revealed he left Barcelona in search of regular playing time.
"It was not about money. It was the need to play consistently," he told assembled reporters at his farewell press conference in Barcelona.
"I'm sad in a way, to be leaving. There was an option to stay, that's what the club wanted. I discussed it with everyone but the Chelsea offer attracted me.
"The easiest thing would have been to stay, it's a difficult decision. I am taking a risk but I am decided.
"Barcelona is the best club in the world, there's no other place like this. But I've joined a club I like and where I will play more. Last season was one of my worst, because there was a lot of competition and I didn't have enough playing time.
"I'm ambitious and I knew it would be difficult to have a lot playing time here. I'm happy to have this new challenge.
"I was very flattered by the interest from some of England's biggest clubs like Manchester United, City and Chelsea, but Chelsea's offer convinced me most. I talked with [Blues coach] Jose Mourinho, it's true he called me. I liked what he said. He convinced me.
"The atmosphere in the Premier League is fantastic, the stadiums are always full and it's an attractive league for spectators."
Pedro made an immediate impact on his debut with the English champions, scoring a goal and assisting another as his new team overcame West Brom 3-2 on Sunda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

Who Is Fosuh Mensah?

One For The Future; Fosuh Mensah TIMOTHY FOSUH MENSAH PROFILE Full Name: Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah Date of   Birth: 2 nd January 1998 Place of Birth: Armsterdam , Holland Height: 1.90 m   Playing Position: Defender / Mildfielder Nationality: Holland Mensah's Debut Against Arsenal At Old Traffold In United's 3-2 win Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah is a Dutch professional footballer who plays as a defensive/central mildfielder, centre-back or full-back for English club Manchester United. Born in Armsterdam, Mensah began his career with Ajax before moving to England in 2014. He made his professional debut at left-back on 28 February 2016 in a 3-2 Premier League Win at home to Arsenal replacing Marcos Rojo in the 55 th minute. Manchester United moved to snap up the highly-rated youngster from Ajax in the summer of 2014 beating a host of top European clubs in the process and if he is able to reach his potential, the Red Devils will have a real star on the...