Skip to main content

Euros Disappointments a lesson for Martial, says Deschamps

 

France coach Didier Deschamps believes Anthony Martial is a revitalised player after looking "exhausted" at Euro 2016.

Following a fine first season in the Premier League with Manchester United, in which he scored 11 goals in 31 appearances, Martial failed to have much of an impact on France's run to the final on home soil.

The 20-year-old played just 69 minutes across three matches, but opened the scoring in France's 3-1 friendly victory over Italy in Bari on Thursday for his first senior international goal.

And Deschamps, attempting to lead France's recovery after their final defeat to Portugal in July, reckons a refreshed Martial will learn lessons from his Euros disappointment.

"He was expecting more from the Euros and I was too," Deschamps said. "But, things were difficult. He has to learn from this to progress. 

"He was the first to say he was not satisfied.

Deschamps continued: "He arrived there exhausted because he had a very long season. He's a young player, he has to go through moments like that.

"But as I said to him, I didn't forget what he did and what he is able to do. Now he begins a new season.

"I told him he will play the first half. When he's in such a physical condition and in this state of mind, he's always a danger for the opponent. It's a good thing."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

Who Is Fosuh Mensah?

One For The Future; Fosuh Mensah TIMOTHY FOSUH MENSAH PROFILE Full Name: Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah Date of   Birth: 2 nd January 1998 Place of Birth: Armsterdam , Holland Height: 1.90 m   Playing Position: Defender / Mildfielder Nationality: Holland Mensah's Debut Against Arsenal At Old Traffold In United's 3-2 win Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah is a Dutch professional footballer who plays as a defensive/central mildfielder, centre-back or full-back for English club Manchester United. Born in Armsterdam, Mensah began his career with Ajax before moving to England in 2014. He made his professional debut at left-back on 28 February 2016 in a 3-2 Premier League Win at home to Arsenal replacing Marcos Rojo in the 55 th minute. Manchester United moved to snap up the highly-rated youngster from Ajax in the summer of 2014 beating a host of top European clubs in the process and if he is able to reach his potential, the Red Devils will have a real star on the...