Skip to main content

Chris Smalling And Co Axed By Sam Allardyce

 

Sam Allardyce

John Stones, Jordan Henderson and Adam Lallana will replace Chris Smalling, Dele Alli and Daniel Sturridge.

Joe Hart, who made a deadline-day loan move to Torino from Manchester City, will keep his place in goal despite not making a league appearance this season.

The game in Trnava is Allardyce's first since taking over from Roy Hodgson.

Captain Wayne Rooney will also become England's most capped outfield player when he leads the team out on Sunday, overtaking David Beckham's record of 115 appearances.

His Manchester United team-mate Luke Shaw, who had earned his first call since breaking his leg last year, was rested from training on Saturday and subsequently removed from the squad.

Allardyce said Shaw's withdrawal was "for precautionary measures", adding "he's not injured".

The game is the Three Lions' first since the shock 2-1 defeat by Iceland that sent them out of Euro 2016 at the last-16 stage in June.

England begin their 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign against a side who held them to a 0-0 draw in the group stage of the European Championship in France.

Slovakia, ranked 24th in the world, will take belief from that draw but will also be aware that their visitors have won each of their last 12 qualifying matches for major tournaments.

England's last defeat in a qualifying game came in 2009 when Fabio Capello's England side lost 1-0 to Ukraine in Dnipropetrovsk in a 2010 World Cup qualifier.

The danger for England is that Slovakia have lost just once in 14 international matches played at home.

Allardyce said the game will be the hardest his side face in their World Cup qualifying group which also includes Scotland, Slovenia, Lithuania and Malta.

The former Sunderland and West Ham manager said he will be nervous before managing his country for the first time.

"I think in every new job, you're nervous," he said.

"But you're hoping the players will do the talking for you, that when they walk over that white line they'll deliver what we all want and that's the victory."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...