Skip to main content

Cristiano Ronaldo 'lives a lonely life'

Cristiano Ronaldo 'lives a lonely life'

The producer of a new documentary looking into the life of Cristiano Ronaldo says the footballer leads a lonely life.
James Gay-Rees was also behind the award-winning film Senna, about the Brazilian Formula 1 driver.
"He's got a very small group of friends and he surrounds himself with his family," James said.
"I think the level of sacrifice required to operate at that level is beyond most of our understanding."
The documentary team followed Real Madrid and Portugal player Ronaldo around for a year and James says the thing that surprised him most was how the star deals with his stardom.
"It requires a huge amount of dedication and sacrifice," he said.
"He has an idea, he wants a legacy, he wants to go down as one of the greatest players of all time. It's a pretty brutal, lonely lifestyle.
Cristiano Ronaldo
"I think we all imagined that he just swans around making a lot of money and being Cristiano Ronaldo, but there's a lot of sacrifice [that goes] into that in order to make that happen."
James told Newsbeat that Ronaldo had watched the documentary a number of times, and only had "a few comments" about the end result, but says he's really pleased with it.
He also says the star's "arrogance" is misinterpreted.
"I think one of the most surprising things is that it's not easy being a global superstar. It's a bit of a nightmare. I mean, his life is just so disciplined, it's so regimented.
Cristiano Ronaldo
"He trains so hard, he's so driven it's unreal. And the great thing about the movie, I think, is that it goes some way to explaining why he is so driven."
James was also part of the team that made the recent documentary about Amy Winehouse's life, called Amy.
"He's probably one of the most famous people in the world, he's an amazing footballer. People think they know him, but they don't really have a clue.
"It was a great opportunity to spend a year with somebody that brilliant and that famous and really get to the hub of what makes them tick."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...