Skip to main content

Klopp Happy With Liverpool Start

New Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp declared himself happy with his debut after watching his side play out a 0-0 draw with Tottenham at White Hart Lane.

The Reds earned a point in an end-to-end game at White Hart Lane, though they struggled to truly test Hugo Lloris in the Spurs goal throughout, with Divock Origi's effort that hit the crossbar the closest they came to a winning goal. 

Klopp was serenaded by the away fans prior to the game, with supporters carrying banners and flags in support of their new manager, and he admitted that he was touched by the support. 

"It was cool, I like this. I don't want to talk about me but first game in the Premier League, coming to White Hart Lane, not the worst place in the world, but it was cool," he told reporters.

"When we have the whistle, it's good, before I tried to look at things I've never seen before. It's a stadium, I've been in other stadiums! We're in, now we can work."

Klopp also hinted that his work as Liverpool manager begins now, having seen his debut delayed by the recent international break, though he admitted that his side's performance could have been better, had they been less "hectic" on the ball. 

"I'm satisfied with the start, this is not the worst sign because I did not have the biggest expectations, we have only three days, Tottenham are very, very strong and have a good team," he added. "It was difficult so I'm satisfied. The start was brilliant, we got on the second ball, good timing, Phil (Coutinho) and Adam (Lallana), perfect, in behind, good positions for them. 

"The problem of the game, when we had the ball we were not cool enough. We didn't use our skills. We were too hectic, maybe, I'm not sure! Something like this! We didn't see the right option but it's normal, you get the ball, shoot open your view, and play to the side because Tottenham are defending. 

"We didn't use these situations but we had our moments, Origi hit the post, some other situations when we could have been better. After three days it was brilliant. Now we have our own game, our experience together and we can go on working."

When asked about recent injury problems suffered by Daniel Sturridge and Danny Ings, Klopp praised the impact of Origi, who deputised in the absence of the duo, and revealed that he attempted to sign the forward when he was manager of Borussia Dortmund. 

"I wanted to take him to Dortmund when Liverpool bought him," he added. "He went on loan to Lille, he's a very good player, very young, a good technician, in this moment not full of experience in the game because he didn't play so often but we will have fun with this player.

"We were in a battle with Liverpool for him!"

Klopp revealed that Sturridge may return for next week's clash with Rubin Kazan in the Europa League, having only suffered a "little bit of swelling" to his knee after a clash in training with Jordon Ibe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

Who Is Fosuh Mensah?

One For The Future; Fosuh Mensah TIMOTHY FOSUH MENSAH PROFILE Full Name: Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah Date of   Birth: 2 nd January 1998 Place of Birth: Armsterdam , Holland Height: 1.90 m   Playing Position: Defender / Mildfielder Nationality: Holland Mensah's Debut Against Arsenal At Old Traffold In United's 3-2 win Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah is a Dutch professional footballer who plays as a defensive/central mildfielder, centre-back or full-back for English club Manchester United. Born in Armsterdam, Mensah began his career with Ajax before moving to England in 2014. He made his professional debut at left-back on 28 February 2016 in a 3-2 Premier League Win at home to Arsenal replacing Marcos Rojo in the 55 th minute. Manchester United moved to snap up the highly-rated youngster from Ajax in the summer of 2014 beating a host of top European clubs in the process and if he is able to reach his potential, the Red Devils will have a real star on the...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal