Skip to main content

Wenger: Walcott form mean Arsenal needs no big-name signing

theo walcott at Arsenal

Theo Walcott's form so far this season has vindicated the decision not to sign a big-name striker in the transfer window, according to Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger. 

The Gunners were unable to sign reported targets Karim Benzema and Edinson Cavani in the off-season, leaving Walcott and Olivier Giroud vying for the role of first-choice centre-forward.

And Wenger believes that Walcott's form this season - which has seen the England international net two Premier League goals - has justified his decision not to spend big. 

"At the start of the season, I faced questions from everybody: 'why don't you buy a central striker?' So sometimes you have to have strong beliefs and show the players as well that you believe in them in that position," he said.

"I always said that he will play through the middle. It took him a while to come back after his knee injury, I must say.

"But now in the last few games, he always looks dangerous in this position.

"The quality of his movement is outstanding and he has found his finishing again. Now against Man United he has also found his commitment back.

"What you want from Theo is the commitment he showed against Man United in the challenges. If he adds that to his game then he will be difficult to stop."

Walcott has scored seven goals for club and country so far this season and Wenger has backed him to continue finding the back of the net.

"Thierry Henry arrived here and he had not scored goals before and scored plenty here," Wenger added.

"There are very few examples of players who left us and scored more elsewhere than here. We know how to develop strikers quite well.

"You score goals because you get in the right positions and you work on the field. Let's not forget how our strikers developed well here."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

Who Is Fosuh Mensah?

One For The Future; Fosuh Mensah TIMOTHY FOSUH MENSAH PROFILE Full Name: Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah Date of   Birth: 2 nd January 1998 Place of Birth: Armsterdam , Holland Height: 1.90 m   Playing Position: Defender / Mildfielder Nationality: Holland Mensah's Debut Against Arsenal At Old Traffold In United's 3-2 win Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah is a Dutch professional footballer who plays as a defensive/central mildfielder, centre-back or full-back for English club Manchester United. Born in Armsterdam, Mensah began his career with Ajax before moving to England in 2014. He made his professional debut at left-back on 28 February 2016 in a 3-2 Premier League Win at home to Arsenal replacing Marcos Rojo in the 55 th minute. Manchester United moved to snap up the highly-rated youngster from Ajax in the summer of 2014 beating a host of top European clubs in the process and if he is able to reach his potential, the Red Devils will have a real star on the...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal