Skip to main content

Bony-'This has been the worst spell of my career but I can replace Aguero'

The Argentina striker, who has scored six goals in eight Premier League appearances in 2015-16, is sidelined with a hamstring injury and the Ivorian says he can fill his boots

'This has been the worst spell of my career but I can replace Aguero' - Bony
Wilfried Bony



Wilfried Bony believes he can fill the void left by the injured Sergio Aguero at Manchester City, despite enduring “the worst spell” of his career at the Etihad Stadium.

Bony joined City from Swansea for a fee of £28 million in 2014 but has scored just twice for the club in 19 appearances, compared to Aguero's eight goals in a mere 11 appearances this season alone. 

However, with Aguero sustaining a hamstring injury on international duty that is expected to keep him out for around a month, Bony is set to deputise for Manuel Pellegrini’s side, and he insists that he can hit the goal trail, starting this weekend against newly-promoted Bournemouth.

“It’s never good when your team-mates are injured but that’s the way football goes sometimes,” Bony told the club’s official website.

“Now I need to take things game by game and work hard. I have to take my chance and score goals for the team – that’s why I’m here. 

“My first concern is helping my team-mates and playing my part - we’ll see how things go starting this Saturday against Bournemouth.”

Bony has seen his playing time limited by injury following his move from Swansea – where he netted 35 goals in 70 appearances.

And the 26-year-old admits that he is desperate to put the bad times behind him in the coming months, promising City fans that they are set to see the “new Bony”.

“A lot of crazy things have happened since I joined City and I’ve been ruled out with injury three or four times so it’s been hard to find any rhythm playing one or two games here and there,” he added.

“In the past five years I’d never missed more than two games in a row and at Swansea I only missed a handful of matches and that was mostly because of a red card I received.

“I’ve had nothing but bad luck in the past year, but hopefully, that’s the end of it now. It’s not been the best time for me in that respect and has been very frustrating, but hopefully the City fans will now see the new Bony.

“All I need is the first goal to come and hopefully many others will follow.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

Who Is Fosuh Mensah?

One For The Future; Fosuh Mensah TIMOTHY FOSUH MENSAH PROFILE Full Name: Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah Date of   Birth: 2 nd January 1998 Place of Birth: Armsterdam , Holland Height: 1.90 m   Playing Position: Defender / Mildfielder Nationality: Holland Mensah's Debut Against Arsenal At Old Traffold In United's 3-2 win Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah is a Dutch professional footballer who plays as a defensive/central mildfielder, centre-back or full-back for English club Manchester United. Born in Armsterdam, Mensah began his career with Ajax before moving to England in 2014. He made his professional debut at left-back on 28 February 2016 in a 3-2 Premier League Win at home to Arsenal replacing Marcos Rojo in the 55 th minute. Manchester United moved to snap up the highly-rated youngster from Ajax in the summer of 2014 beating a host of top European clubs in the process and if he is able to reach his potential, the Red Devils will have a real star on the...