Skip to main content

Casillas: Messi Always My Nightmare

iker casillas crying
Iker Casillas
Fc. Porto goalkeeper Iker Casillas has labelled Barcelona star Lionel Messi the opponent he has had the most difficulty facing.

The custodian regularly faced off with the Argentine in El Clasico before moving to Porto, and still considers the Argentine the best he has ever faced.

"Messi [was my most difficult opponent], always Messi. I played against him many times," he replied in answer to a fan's questions on Uefa's Facebook account.

Nevertheless, Champions League and World Cup winner Casillas still ranked his best saves as ones which directly coincided with him winning silverware.

"The saves I made against Bayer Leverkusen [in the Champions League final in 2002] and the one in the World Cup final [in 2010] to deny Arjen Robben [are my favourites]," the 34-year-old continued.

The Madrid youth product endured his share of ups and downs at the Santiago Bernabeu, and revealed the attributes that helped him perform under the pressure to cement himself in the club's history.

"You need to be mentally very strong. Being a goalkeeper involves a lot of risk, courage and intelligence," he stated.

"I enjoyed being a goalkeeper since I was young because my father never wanted to play in that position when we played together!

"I don't remember any [particular goal conceded] because I get very angry every single time I concede one."

Casillas finally called time on his 16-year career with los Blancos in the summer and praised his new Porto team-mates, mentioning conterpart Helton in particular: "Every single one [of Porto's players has stood out so far].

"Helton [is the funniest player in the squad]. He's always laughing and manages to pass that on to the rest of the team."

The Spain international has established himself between the posts at the Dragao this season, appearing in every game for the Premeira Liga runners-up so far and keeping four clean sheets in the process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

Who Is Fosuh Mensah?

One For The Future; Fosuh Mensah TIMOTHY FOSUH MENSAH PROFILE Full Name: Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah Date of   Birth: 2 nd January 1998 Place of Birth: Armsterdam , Holland Height: 1.90 m   Playing Position: Defender / Mildfielder Nationality: Holland Mensah's Debut Against Arsenal At Old Traffold In United's 3-2 win Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah is a Dutch professional footballer who plays as a defensive/central mildfielder, centre-back or full-back for English club Manchester United. Born in Armsterdam, Mensah began his career with Ajax before moving to England in 2014. He made his professional debut at left-back on 28 February 2016 in a 3-2 Premier League Win at home to Arsenal replacing Marcos Rojo in the 55 th minute. Manchester United moved to snap up the highly-rated youngster from Ajax in the summer of 2014 beating a host of top European clubs in the process and if he is able to reach his potential, the Red Devils will have a real star on the...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal