Skip to main content

Oxlade-Chamberlain:I Was A Chelsea Supporter

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has revealed that he supported both Arsenal and Chelsea when he was growing up.
Image result for oxlade chamberlain chelsea fan
Chamberlein Supported Chelsea

The 22-year-old joined the Gunners in 2011 and he scored the winner when the two aforementioned sides met in the Community Shield at the start of this season.


However, the former Southampton player has revealed that he also used to follow the Blues when he was growing up, and was particularly captivated by the majestic skills of Gianfranco Zola.

Oxlade-Chamberlain said: “I wasn’t the most loyal fan as a boy, I’m not going to lie.
“I used to support Zola and Henry so whenever Chelsea or Arsenal were playing and those two were playing, I would support them and the team.”
“As I grew older, as I understood football more, watching the whole Arsenal team and how they used to play, that’s what I fell in love with and that was a massive part of why I chose to come to Arsenal at the time I did,” he continued.
“I think my family, because my dad was a footballer and his brother, my uncle, was a footballer, I don’t think there was ever really that fanatical support towards one team. It was almost something that was taken for granted that football was just football and we all just loved playing it and appreciated it.
“I was never brought up supporting a team, it was more just supporting players and what style of play I loved. My dad used to love watching Man United back in the day when they used to play some good stuff and then he used to love Arsenal and used to love Chelsea before that, but he was more of a Stoke fan because that’s where he’s from.
“I couldn’t see myself getting involved with that. I never really supported a team. I used to love Arsenal but I’m from down south so could never come to games. I think the only games I used to ever be able to go to was as a ball boy at Southampton. They used to let the Academy boys be the ball boys down there. I wasn’t the best football fan back in the day but just loved watching and supporting players.”
Oxlade-Chamberlain was amongst the scorers on Monday night as England concluded their European Championships qualification campaign with a 3-0 victory away to Lithuania.
The 22-year-old will now return to club action with Arsenal, but – despite his considerable talent – he still isn’t guaranteed a regular starting spot for the Gunners, with central midfielder Aaron Ramsey frequently being deployed on the right flank.
Oxlade-Chamberlain has previously acknowledged that he needs to add more goals to his game in order to be able to improve further. His core skill set of pace, power and skill, however, represents a daunting task for any defender to deal with.
He will hope to feature in some capacity when Arsenal take on Watford at Vicarage Road in the Premier League on Sunday evening, with Arsene Wenger’s side looking to build upon the encouraging victory they secured against Manchester United last time out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

2018 WorldCup Qualifiers: Nigeria Meets Swaziland

Swaziland advanced to the second round of the 2018 World Cup qualifiers on Saturday where they will face Nigeria after trouncing Djibouti 8-1 on aggregate. After suffering postponements due to the Djibouti team being stuck in transit in Kenya, the Swazi side cemented their place in the next round with a 2-1 win in Lobamba following their first leg 6-0 away win in Djibouti. A brace from Sandile Hlatjwako condemned the visitors to another defeat despite finally scoring for the first time in the two-legged encounter through Mohamed Issa Liban. Swaziland will now face Nigeria over two legs in mid-November to determine which side will reach the final qualifying group phase. The King’s Shield are ranked 135th by Fifa while the Super Eagles are ranked 52nd.

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...