Skip to main content

Guardiola Announcement Spoiled Man. City's Season

Pellegrini: Guardiola announcement changed the atmosphere at Man City

The Chilean feels the atmosphere at the Etihad changed after the Spaniard was confirmed as the club's new manager and believes his side have enjoyed a good season.

Manuel Pellegrini made his strongest suggestion yet that Manchester City's mid-season announcement of Pep Guardiola as his successor was a key factor in derailing the club's Premier League title bid.

City played out a concluding 1-1 draw at Swansea City on Sunday to secure the point they required for a top-four finish at the expense of Manchester United, whose match against AFC Bournemouth must be rescheduled after the discovery of a suspicious package forced an abandonment at Old Trafford.

Pellegrini closes his three seasons in charge as a 2013-14 Premier League champion and two-time League Cup winner, but his side finished 15 points shy of surprise winners Leicester City this time around.

The Chilean saw his team beaten 3-1 by Leicester in February at the end of the week when Guardiola's forthcoming switch from Bayern Munich was confirmed and, speaking to Sky Sports after the Swansea match, he said this affected the mood in his dressing room.
"In the Premier League, that's so important, we finished maybe not where we wanted," Pellegrini he said.

"In the whole year we were competing for a spot in the Champions League so I think we deserved a spot in Champions League. Over year we were near top of the table.
"In February a lot of things happened that I don't want to continue analysing. 

"We lost two games at home against Leicester and Tottenham, at the same moment that everyone announced what would happen next year. 
"I think the atmosphere was not the best to fight for the title."
Pellegrini still spoke of his affection for City and the club's supporters and reflected on "a very special day" that concluded with him presenting his suit jacket to a fan in the away end at the behest of Yaya Toure.

The former Villarreal, Real Madrid and Malaga boss - who has been linked with a return to La Liga at Valencia next term - also feels City's cup exploits mean that have enjoyed a satisfactory campaign.
"If you analyse season we won Capital One Cup, we reached for the first time the semi-final of Champions League," he said. "Maybe we didn't play well, but only difference with Real Madrid [in the semi-final] was an own goal in our goal.
"Before then, unfortunately, we couldn't continue in the FA Cup. We had to prioritise one competition because we had too many injuries in that moment that we couldn't recover completely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...