Skip to main content

Mijatovic Tips Bale to save Madrid's season in Champions League final

Mijatovic: Bale can save Madrid's season in Champions League final 
 
Former Real Madrid striker Predrag Mijatovic has backed Gareth Bale to "save” the club's season by leading them to victory in the Champions League final.
The 10-time European champions will lock horns with city rivals Atletico Madrid in Saturday's decider in Milan - a rematch of the 2014 final in which the Wales international scored as Real won 4-1 after extra time.

It has been another difficult season for Real, having watched Barcelona retain their La Liga crown while failing to make it past the Copa del Rey last 32, with Rafael Benitez replaced by Zinedine Zidane at the helm in January.

But Mijatovic, who spent three years at the Santiago Bernabeu and scored the winning goal in the 1997-98 Champions League final, says Real have a born match winner in Bale and believes he can ensure Los Blancos' season doesn't end in sadness.

"There are players that are born with a gift for scoring in finals; it can't just be a coincidence," the 47-year-old said via Marca.
"He's a great player and has scored in them all, let's hope it continues."
Mijatovic added: "Real Madrid need to win to save their season.
"If they don't it would be a second consecutive disappointing season, which would be worrying."

Bale, who has scored 19 goals in all competitions so far this season, has also netted in a Copa del Rey and Club World Cup final apiece for Real.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...