Skip to main content

Superstitious Bolasie Cant wear custom boots for FA Cup final

 Superstitious Bolasie to avoid wearing custom boots for FA Cup final

The DR Congo winger will stick with what he knows when he returns to familiar surroundings for the tournament showdown against Manchester United on Saturday


Crystal Palace attacker Yannick Bolasie will turn down the chance to play in custom-made boots for the FA Cup final clash with Manchester United.

The Wembley-inspired boot design displays the short route from his mother's house - the place of his humble beginning - to the international stadium.

The DR Congo winger was seen practising in the boots ahead of the 2-1 semi-final victory over Watford but he discarded them in favour of his usual pair before kick-off.

And ahead of Saturday's meeting with Louis van Gaal's side, a repeat of the 1990 cup final, Bolasie admits it is unlikely he'll make use of the boots due to the magnitude of the fixture.

"I wore them in the warm-up," he said. "They weren't ready. Obviously it's a great boot that's been made for myself personally, but for superstition - I don't want to gamble.

"You want to make sure you're playing on that pitch at Wembley and you're on top form and wearing the boot that feels like a sock is the most important thing."
Bolasie, 26, is no stranger to Wembley having grown up close to the stadium and he went on to explain the features of the specially-made footwear.
"On one side of the boot it had the journey from my mum's house to Wembley," he said.

"The road map highlighted in blue and obviously you can see the green, and on the other side of the boot it had the Wembley arch, that I could see from my mum's bedroom, with a Palace flag on it, and just the Palace fans walking to Wembley stadium."
The Palace winger, typically utilised on the left-flank, scored five goals in 26 Premier League games in 2015-16 and headed in the opening goal of the game against Watford in the FA Cup semi-final.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...