Skip to main content

OFFICIAL: JOSE MOURINHO APPOINTED MANCHESTER UNITED JOB

THE SPECIAL ONE SIGNS FOR UNITED
Jose Mourinho has been appointed as the new manager of Manchester United, the club has confirmed.

The former Chelsea and Real Madrid boss has been handed a three-year deal at Old Trafford, ending months of speculation linking him to the United job.

The 53-year-old replaces Louis van Gaal, who was sacked on Monday despite leading the club to their first FA Cup win in 12 years at the weekend.

Announcing the appointment, Ed Woodward said:  “José is quite simply the best manager in the game today. He has won trophies and inspired players in countries across Europe and, of course, he knows the Premier League very well, having won three titles here.
“I’d like to take this opportunity to welcome him to Manchester United. His track record of success is ideal to take the Club forward.”

Mourinho has been an open admirer of Manchester United for many years and has been expected to replace Van Gaal since his sacking by Chelsea in December 2015.

“To become Manchester United manager is a special honour in the game," the Portuguese said. "It is a club known and admired throughout the world. There is a mystique and a romance about it which no other club can match.
“I have always felt an affinity with Old Trafford; it has hosted some important memories for me in my career and I have always enjoyed a rapport with the United fans. I’m looking forward to being their manager and enjoying their magnificent support in the coming years.”

Mourinho has eight league titles to his name from his days with Porto, Chelsea, Inter and Real Madrid, including three Premier League triumphs.

But United have not finished higher than fourth in the three years since Sir Alex Ferguson retired after collecting 13 league crowns in his 26-year reign.

They finished in fifth place in 2015-16, prompting the decision to dismiss Van Gaal and replace him with his former Barcelona coaching protege.

The club have yet to confirm whether assistant manager Ryan Giggs will remain as part of Mourinho's backroom staff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...