Skip to main content

Siasia To Meet Mikel & Ighalo In London For Olympic

Samson Siasia for rio olympics

The Dream Team coach will be in England for discussions with potential members of his squad for the Rio 2016 games this weekend.
 
Nigeria U23 coach Samson Siasia will be in England this weekend to begin one on one meetings with the players he has in mind to take to the Olympic Games in Rio. These include John Obi Mikel and Odion Ighalo as part of the over-aged players, Goal has learnt.
He would also take out time to speak with teenagers Kelechi Iheanacho and Alex Iwobi.
Goal learnt from a source close to the team that the coach's travel plans have been graciously approved by the Nigeria Football Federation and he would be in England for three days.
“It is true Samson Siasia will travel to London on Saturday to meet with the likely players he wants for his team's build up and preparations for this year's Olympic Games in Rio, Brazil,” the source said.
"He is also going to watch one of the final matches in the English Premier League between Chelsea and Leicester City at 3pm on Sunday.
“He would then meet with the players he has in mind to join the team and get assurances from them about their commitment to play for the Nigeria Olympic team and also secure their release from their various clubs.
“Two prominent players that are in Siasia's book for discussions are Kelechi Iheanacho of Manchester City and Alex Iwobi of Arsenal Football Club,” the source said.
Nigeria have been drawn in the same group with Sweden, Japan and Colombia at the Olympic Games.
Siasia is keen to go one further by winning the gold medal after finishing in second place behind Argentina at the 2008 Games in Beijing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...