Skip to main content

OFFICIAL: Brendan Rodgers appointed Celtic manager

OFFICIAL: Brendan Rodgers appointed Celtic manager

Brendan Rodgers has been appointed Celtic's new manager.

The 43-year-old has been out of work since he was sacked by Liverpool in October and has signed a 12-month rolling contract with the Scottish champions.

Rodgers said: "I am absolutely delighted to be named Celtic manager. This is genuinely a huge honour for me. I have followed Celtic all my life and to be given this fantastic opportunity and to be part of such a truly great football club is a dream come true.

"I will give my new role everything I have and do all I can to bring our supporters exciting, entertaining and winning football.

"The club has been in magnificent shape in recent years and has collected silverware regularly during this time. My objective now, of course, is to continue this work, to keep us at the top and again make our mark in Europe.

"I know what a magnificent support Celtic enjoys and I can promise our fans one thing - that I will be doing everything I can to give you a team that you can be proud of and a team that delivers.

"I can't wait to be in Paradise with our team and our fans as we all get to work."

It was announced back in April that Deila would leave his role at the end of the season, despite guiding the club to a fifth successive Scottish Premiership crown.

Celtic chairman Ian Bankier added: "We are delighted to welcome Brendan to Celtic as the club's new manager.

"As expected, there was huge interest in the position of Celtic manager but we believe we have chosen the outstanding candidate to take the club forward.


"Brendan is a man with a tremendous pedigree in football management, he is someone who knows all about Celtic and someone who has a real passion for Celtic. He is also a manager who we believe has the talent, the drive and the determination to bring continued success to the club.

"We are sure Brendan will receive a fantastic welcome from our supporters and we now look forward with real excitement towards next season as we tackle the many challenges ahead domestically and in Europe."

The Glasgow club's chief executive Peter Lawwell continued: "Brendan is a highly-sought after manager and we are pleased that we have been able to bring such a high calibre individual to Celtic.

"He has a huge and genuine affection for the Club. I know Brendan feels privileged to be named Celtic manager and I know he will give us everything he has to be successful at Celtic. Above all, he will bring huge experience, knowledge and ability to the role.

"We wanted to bring one of the biggest and best names to the Club to match our own aspirations and those of our supporters - we believe, in appointing Brendan, that we have done this.

"We have appointed a special manager and we are sure he can bring some special times to Celtic."

After posts with Watford, Reading and Swansea City, Rodgers was appointed as manager at Liverpool in June 2012, and he almost delivered the club's first league title since 1990 in 2013-14, only to just fall short of Manchester City.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...