Skip to main content

Twente Fc Demoted From Eredivisie To Eerste Divisie

Twente demoted as financial issues bite

Eredivisie side Twente have been provisionally demoted to the Eerste Divisie by the Royal Dutch Football Association (KNVB) over their financial mismanagement.
Twente were banned from European competition for three years by the KNVB in December after the club was found guilty of "deliberately misleading" the organisation in regard to its relationship with Malta-based investment firm Doyen Sports.
A fourth failure to get their finances in order led to Twente being deducted points for the second season running - they were docked three points on two separate occasions in 2014-15.
The club were also fined by FIFA last season for breaching third-party ownership rules.

A KNVB statement confirmed Twente had been "offered a second chance in the Jupiler League", despite the Licence Commission determining that there were grounds to revoke the Enschede-based club's licence.
KNVB director of professional football Bert van Oostveen said: "The past year has been uncertain.
"For the fans, for the club and also for the KNVB, we really feared that the Licence Commission would pull the plug.
"Fortunately the commission found a way out.
"FC Twente is a big club, who has a large following and the KNVB is delighted that the club will get a second chance."
The decision can be appealed by Twente, although if demotion is confirmed, it could lead to salvation for one of the Eredivisie's bottom three clubs.
Willem II or De Graafschap could be reprieved even if they lose their promotion play-offs against NAC Breda and Go Ahead Eagles respectively.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...