Skip to main content

Depay explains reasons behind his 'difficult' time at Manchester United


Depay explains reasons behind his 'difficult' time at Manchester United

Memphis Depay admits he is finding life difficult on the bench for Manchester United but has vowed to win back his place in Louis van Gaal’s side.

The 21-year-old has struggled for form in recent weeks and was an unused substitute in United’s 2-0 win at home to West Brom before the international break.

Depay concedes he found his start at Old Trafford “a bit easy” but is adamant that he can get back to the level he showed at PSV last season.

“Of course it’s difficult when you’re on the bench but it’s going better right now and it’s also going better on the training pitch,” Depay told NOS.

“So if I get my chance to play, I will take it.

“I think lots of things changed. I’m in a new club right now, it’s a different level [to the Eredivisie]. Such things are playing a big role and you’re trying to find your way and it was a bit easy at the start but then I fell back and you could see it in the way I played. 

“But you can assume that I’m busy with working on that and getting back to the top. 

“I feel fit and I’m trying to show on the training ground that I’m doing my best to perform well. People are used to see me score and that shall also come, it just takes a bit longer now but you’ll have to find that form again.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...