Skip to main content

Attack! Attack! Attack! Will Lingard spark Man Utd into life?

Rooney and Lingard destroys west brom

Manchester United spent well in excess of £100 million on ready-made talent last summer while also allowing a number of former bright young hopes to leave the club. To many it was the clearest sign yet that their focus had changed for good.

Once the bastion of British youth, the home of the fabled class of ’92, the ultimate example of just how much you can win with kids, United were now seen to be shifting paradigms to be more in keeping with the Manchester Citys and Chelseas of the world. The first instinct appeared to be to throw their excesses of cash around, with the nurturing of club-raised players seemingly an afterthought.

With Tom Cleverley, Rafael and Jonny Evans all sold, and the likes of Adnan Januzaj and Tyler Blackett shipped out on loan deals, the vast quantities of in-house options have certainly dwindled. Yet the rise of Jesse Lingard over the past few weeks proves that opportunities are still there for United youngsters if they have the quality and the mentality that Louis van Gaal demands.

During the last international break Lingard was little more than a name occasionally mentioned by the United manager to keep other players on their toes. Van Gaal would bring him up when speaking about competition for places, yet there had been no practical evidence of the 22-year-old's importance.

After suffering a serious knee injury during Van Gaal's first game in charge against Swansea in August 2014, Lingard had become a forgotten man. Yet his emergence over the past three weeks has shown that he can be a key figure as United look to regain an extra edge after a difficult period.

A side struggling to keep the fans onside due to the slower, more tepid style of play currently being served up by Van Gaal was becoming desperate for some energy, width and brazen attacking. Enter Lingard.

He made his seasonal debut as a second-half substitute at Everton in mid-October with United already leading 2-0. Van Gaal had asked him to provide a more direct threat than was offered by the more artistic Juan Mata in the first half and Lingard delivered. Any ideas the Toffees had of hitting United hard after the break were tempered by the wide man's counter-attacking qualities which forced back the opposition full-backs.







Since then Lingard has remained a key player for United. He started the Champions League trip to CSKA Moscow and teed up the assist for Anthony Martial's crucial equaliser. Van Gaal couldn't have been happier after the match.

"He's doing well, that's why I want to keep him and why I have said his chances shall come," raved the Dutchman.

"He has a lot of pace and I like pace on the wings. Now he has his first assist also. I think he shall have a boost from this game because he played very well in my opinion, and I hope he shall continue."

Four days later he came closer than anyone to breaking the deadlock in the Manchester derby after coming off the bench and hitting the bar with a flicked effort in the dying moments. That run had come from the kind of angled movement into space that has rarely been seen in United's ranks of late, other than from Lingard himself.

He found the woodwork once more in another 0-0 draw with Middlesbrough in the Capital One Cup before delivering a Man of the Match performance in the 1-0 win against CSKA on Tuesday. That display in midweek showed exactly what he can do as a wide player. He occasionally ran himself into trouble but refused to let that get to him. His reward for continuing to show great self-confidence was a game-winning assist and an excellent second-half performance on the whole.

"I was trying to be as direct as I could and get the crowd on their feet," Lingard explained after the match. "Obviously I had to be direct at the right time, so we had to be patient sometimes. I'm glad the goal came."

Don't be surprised to see him feature heavily once more against West Brom at Old Trafford on Saturday for at a time when Manchester United are lacking a spark in the final third, Lingard is proving the most likely to provide it. They are struggling for goals, yet Lingard has set up the last two they've scored and twice struck the woodwork in between times.

It might be a stretch to say it is time United based their attack around him, but they certainly look a better side at present when Lingard is being utilised regularly. The man once earmarked as a future star of some talent by Sir Alex Ferguson is certainly making the most of his chance.

Lingard is the most exciting thing about Manchester United's play right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

Who Is Fosuh Mensah?

One For The Future; Fosuh Mensah TIMOTHY FOSUH MENSAH PROFILE Full Name: Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah Date of   Birth: 2 nd January 1998 Place of Birth: Armsterdam , Holland Height: 1.90 m   Playing Position: Defender / Mildfielder Nationality: Holland Mensah's Debut Against Arsenal At Old Traffold In United's 3-2 win Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah is a Dutch professional footballer who plays as a defensive/central mildfielder, centre-back or full-back for English club Manchester United. Born in Armsterdam, Mensah began his career with Ajax before moving to England in 2014. He made his professional debut at left-back on 28 February 2016 in a 3-2 Premier League Win at home to Arsenal replacing Marcos Rojo in the 55 th minute. Manchester United moved to snap up the highly-rated youngster from Ajax in the summer of 2014 beating a host of top European clubs in the process and if he is able to reach his potential, the Red Devils will have a real star on the...