Skip to main content

Louis van Gaal runs rule over Man Utd’s ‘fantastic’ Wayne Rooney

rooney header vs cska moscow
The England skipper netted his first goal of the Champions League group-stage campaign after he guided a header past CSKA goalkeeper in the 79th minute at Old Trafford.
While Van Gaal refused to single out Rooney for special praise, the United manager was pleased that the Red Devils captain justified his centre-forward starting spot.Rooney has come under pressure in recent weeks after a return of one goal in seven games in all competitions ahead of the visit of United’s Russian opponents.
“I thank all of my players, not only Wayne Rooney,” Van Gaal told his post-match media conference.
“Wayne Rooney is always the centre of attention and I always have to answer questions about Wayne Rooney. Wayne is Wayne and he shall always contribute in the game.
“I am very happy because I put him in the striker position again and he scored. It was a fantastic goal; the preparation was fantastic.”
Rooney has scored two goals in 10 Premier League appearances for the 20-time English champions this season.
The Three Lions striker has scored four times in five Champions League games after his hat-trick against Club Brugge in the play-off phase.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...