Skip to main content

Stop Martial and you stop Manchester United, says Pardew

Stop Martial and you stop Manchester United, says Pardew

The Eagles boss says his side identified the teenager as the dangerman after stopping the Red Devils from scoring for a third consecutive match
Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew said stopping Anthony Martial was crucial as the Eagles held Manchester United to a 0-0 draw on Saturday.

The Red Devils failed to score for a third successive match at Selhurst Park with Louis van Gaal admitting after the match his side “created nothing”.

Martial began the game out wide before switching to a more central role, to no avail, and Pardew says his side had targeted the teenager as United’s main threat.

“We didn't give Martial an inch,” he told reporters after the game. “Not an inch.

“It was a big target for us to stop him and we felt that if we could stop him we could stop their creative angle.


“And when you take into account his age, that's some recommendation.

“I have to say that he's an impressive young player. I think he handled himself very well today, because he would have felt our presence around him, and still he had moments in the game.

“With such a young player, he'll have to be very, very careful, the Manchester United manager, to keep his exuberance there. Because we're all looking to stop him.”

Captain Wayne Rooney came in for criticism after another quiet display but Pardew defended the England international who he feels lacked service.

“In defence of Wayne I didn't really think he got a lot of good possession, I didn't think he had a lot of chances to create anything,” he added.

“I thought we bossed the second half, and in the first half he didn't get a lot of crosses, so it's very difficult for him to have an influence on the game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

Who Is Fosuh Mensah?

One For The Future; Fosuh Mensah TIMOTHY FOSUH MENSAH PROFILE Full Name: Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah Date of   Birth: 2 nd January 1998 Place of Birth: Armsterdam , Holland Height: 1.90 m   Playing Position: Defender / Mildfielder Nationality: Holland Mensah's Debut Against Arsenal At Old Traffold In United's 3-2 win Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah is a Dutch professional footballer who plays as a defensive/central mildfielder, centre-back or full-back for English club Manchester United. Born in Armsterdam, Mensah began his career with Ajax before moving to England in 2014. He made his professional debut at left-back on 28 February 2016 in a 3-2 Premier League Win at home to Arsenal replacing Marcos Rojo in the 55 th minute. Manchester United moved to snap up the highly-rated youngster from Ajax in the summer of 2014 beating a host of top European clubs in the process and if he is able to reach his potential, the Red Devils will have a real star on the...