Skip to main content

Did Van Gaal give up on Di Maria too soon?

Fit to wear Ozil's crown: Did Van Gaal give up on Di Maria too soon?
The Argentine was shipped off inside a year of having become the most expensive signing in English football history - but the stats suggest he still had plenty to offer...
While Louis van Gaal has been lamenting Manchester United's lack of speed and creativity, Angel Di Maria has been tearing up Ligue 1 with new club Paris Saint-Germain.

Di Maria has quickly begun to show the form that saw the Red Devils spend £59.7 million on him in 2014, even scoring a 40-yard free kick against Toulouse at the weekend, all the while United's static attack has infuriated fans.

Mesut Ozil has displayed all the craft and ingenuity United have craved and is currently receiving glowing praise for his performances - and assists record - this season, but, astonishingly, Di Maria remains his nearest rival in the history of the Premier League.

Not dissimilarly to the Argentine, Ozil endured a difficult first season in England, accused of going missing in matches, but Arsene Wenger stuck by his star playmaker and is now reaping the rewards.

The German has 10 assists this season alone and boasts the best matches per assists rate of all time (2.46), though he might have had a tussle on his hands had Di Maria (2.7) not been axed so swiftly.

Moreover, not content with axing one of the most creative players the Premier League has ever seen, Van Gaal got rid of another one over the summer too when he offloaded Nani to Fenerbahce!

To add even more egg to Van Gaal's face, Di Maria has quickly settled into life in the French capital after overcoming injury, and his goals and assists record dwarfs that of his old United team-mates.


Di Maria has scored or assisted a goal 46 minutes more regularly than United's most involved player, Juan Mata, while it is another outcast who possesses the best minutes-to-goals ratio: Adnan Januzaj, now on loan at Dortmund, who bagged a goal during his 127 minutes of action before being shipped off.

Eagle-eyed readers might have noticed some obvious absentees: skipper Wayne Rooney has scored or assisted every 491 minutes (five times worse than Di Maria!) while Memphis Depay has one goal in 589 minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...