Skip to main content

Oliseh: No regrets over inviting Iwobi to Eagles

.
Nigeria national team coach Sunday Oliseh has defended his choice of inviting Arsenal’s Alex Iwobi to the Super Eagles ahead Friday’s World Cup qualifier against Swaziland.
Many had felt the 19-year-old does not deserve a place in the country’s senior national team having failed to tie down a regular place in Alex Wenger’s squad.
Reacting to this during a media parley before the team’s departure to Lobamba, the former Super Eagles captain insists the forward is vital to the team and thus deserves his call up.
“I don’t regret extending invitation to the young man Alex Iwobi because he is good player who I know will be vital in this team like the rest of the players invited,” said Oliseh.
“Unless anybody here can tell me that any player playing in the first team of Arsenal is not good enough to be in this team.”
Iwobi made his international debut in Nigeria’s 2-0 defeat to Congo in an international friendly played in Belgium and will be hoping for his first international goal when the Super Eagles face the King’s Shield  at the Somhlolo National Stadium.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...