Skip to main content

Low to experiment with Germany in Euro 2016 preparations


Low to experiment with Germany in Euro 2016 preparations

The coach says he will give some fringe players the chance to impress as he tries to finalise his best XI ahead of the European Championships in France
Joachim Low will experiment with his Germany side in Friday’s international friendly with France after acknowledging the world champions' qualification for the European Championship was complicated.

Germany were not able to secure a place in next year's tournament until the final round of qualifying matches after edging out Republic of Ireland and Poland in Group D.

Low has identified the next few games as a chance to tinker with personnel and formations to try to get Germany back to the level that saw them triumph at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

"We had a few difficulties in qualifying and we will try a few things in preparation for next summer's tournament," he told reporters.

"We know the situation, for some positions we still have to try some things out. The full-backs have to gain experience for example. Everything that comes from now on won't depend on results, we want to learn, observe and analyse, and then comes the Euros."

As for his team to play the French at the Stade de France, he added: "Honestly, I have no idea what the team will be. Six or seven positions are fixed. 

"For the others, anything could happen. I have to think about it tonight and also look at the formation I want to play against Netherlands on Tuesday and see what would give us an advantage."

There may be a place for Besiktas striker Mario Gomez, who has 25 goals in 60 games for his country, but has not featured since a 4-2 friendly defeat to Argentina in September 2014.


"I've watched him in Istanbul, he is fit and very self-confident," added Low. "He has scored a lot of goals and has lots of motivation to take part in the Euros."

Friday's clash represents a stern test for Germany, according to Low.

He said: "France have matured since the World Cup. They are technically and physically strong. Paul Pogba is the central player and Kingsley Coman has developed well at Bayern Munich.

"They are a team with many great individual players, especially in the attack. They are definitely one of the big favourites at the Euros next year. It will be a very tough game with lots of prestige."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...