Skip to main content

Buhari names Solomon Dalong minister of sports

Nigerian Sports Minister Solomon Dalong
The 51-year-old is a retired attorney who hails from Plateau State, with vast experience on the political scene but without experience in sports management
With the announcement of the ministerial portfolios on Wednesday morning by President Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalong has been sworn-in as the Minister of Sports and Youth Development.
Barrister Dalong was born on the 26th of September 1964 in the town of Sabon Gida within Langtang South Local Government Area, Plateau State. His father is a retired Director of Health of the Taraba State Civil Service.

Dalong had his primary school education at LGEA Primary School Sabon Gida from 1971 to 1977. Dalong joined the Nigerian Prisons Service in the early eighties as against the usual tradition of joining the military where he rose from the rank of a Prison Assistant and rose to the rank of Assistant Inspector of Prisons.

He enrolled to study Law at the Law Faculty of the University of Jos in 1991, spending a whole nine years before bagging an LLB as a result of crises that rocked the Nigerian Universities calendar. He proceeded to the Nigerian Law School, Bwari, in Abuja, graduated in 2000 and was called to the Bar in 2001. 
He worked as the Personal Assistant to Chief Solomon Lar who was then the Adviser Emeritus to President Olusegun Obasanjo. This job lasted until 2003.
In 2004, he took up an appointment with the Faculty of Law of the University of Jos as a lecturer. In 2007, he was appointed the Chairman of Langtang South Local Government Area.
As chairman of Langtang South, he also served as the Plateau State Chairman of the Association of Local Government Chairmen of Nigeria (ALGON).He served as Legal Officer II in the prisons headquarters prior to retirement as a trained attorney.

In Langtang South, Dalong is referred to as “the man who brought colored roofing sheets.”
However, he does not seem to have any experience in sports or sports management. 
In the past, many sports ministers had focussed mainly on football, leading many to call for the creation of a separate ministry for other sports. 
It is not yet known what Mr Dalong's vision for the sports ministry would be.
The 51-year-old would also be overseeing youth affairs. A cursory search of his name on social media sites Twitter and Facebook showed he does not have accounts at the time of reporting. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...