Skip to main content

Martino : The absence of the world's best player Messi will always be felt

Martino on Messi: The absence of the world's best player will always be felt

The coach says the absence of the four-time Ballon d'Or winner has complicated the upcoming World Cup qualifiers, but despite praise for Neymar he insists Brazil are not favourites
Argentina coach Gerardo Martino has admitted that the absence of "the best player in the world" Lionel Messi will impact his side against Brazil and Colombia. 

The Albiceleste face two key World Cup qualifiers after suffering a poor start to the Conmebol campaign, picking up just one point from six. 

And the coach recognised that not having the Barcelona star for either of the games leaves his side with an uphill task. 

"Whether you win or lose, the absence of the best player in the world will always be felt," he said in Wednesday's press conference. 

"We had problems [with injuries] in the last international round and we have had them again. When you face a national team with such important players missing it is a relief for any side." 

Despite being short of the likes of Messi, Sergio Aguero and Carlos Tevez, Martino insisted that Argentina could still prevail at home to Dunga's side. 

"Brazil are not favourites, this is a derby and the conditions are the same for each team," he affirmed. 

The Rosario native was Neymar's first coach in Barcelona after welcoming him to European football in 2013. 

Asked about his former charge, Martino acknowledged that his improvement over the last two years had been exceptional. 

"Every footballer needs time to adapt, I coached a very good Neymar," he pointed out. 

"But right now, after a lot of development, the Liga title and the Champions League, he has almost reached the level of the two players we always place at the top, he is in brilliant form." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...