Skip to main content

Louis van Gaal: Taking Martial off was the right call


Van gaal booed by fans but stands by decision to sub martial
Louis van Gaal stood by his controversial decision to substitute Anthony Martial for Marouane Fellaini in Manchester United’s narrow victory over CSKA Moscow.
United moved to the top of their Champions League group on Tuesday after they beat their Russian opponents 1-0 thanks to Wayne Rooney’s 237th goal for the club.
The victory means United will qualify for the knockout stages of the competition if they beat PSV at home in three weeks’ time.
Yet despite the victory, and the end to a 404-minute long goal drought, some United supporters were far from happy during parts of the game.
Loud boos rang out around Old Trafford when Van Gaal replaced Martial with Fellaini in the 66th minute and the home support then yelled “We’re Man Utd, we want to attack”.
Had it not been for Rooney’s 79th-minute header, more boos would have followed after the final whistle, but Van Gaal was in no mood to back down after the match.

Asked if he had heard the crowd’s reaction, the Dutchman said: ”Of course, I am not deaf. That is the opinion of the fans. Afterwards they shall not be disappointed by the decision of the manager.
”I’m very happy because I put him again in the striker’s position and he scored.”
Rooney’s goal moved him level with the club’s second-highest scorer of all time, Denis Law.
“Law is a legend at this club so I am delighted to equal his record,” said Rooney, who is now 12 short of Sir Bobby Charlton’s all-time record.
“We are top of the group now, so it’s a big three points. We have another big one coming up against PSV, if we win that game we will qualify.”
Rooney’s old team-mate Paul Scholes renewed his attack on Van Gaal before kick-off.
The former United midfielder said last week that he would not want to play in the current set up at Old Trafford because of Van Gaal’s tactics.
Scholes, a BT pundit for the match, said before kick-off that United’s style of play was “boring” and claimed Rooney’s return of two league goals this season was down to a lack of service.
”We talk about Rooney, he’s getting all the stick, but...I don’t think anybody would score goals in this team as a centre forward, I think Sergio Aguero would struggle,” Scholes said.
“He’s getting nothing from midfield, there’s no wide players, he’s getting no service whatsoever.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

Who Is Fosuh Mensah?

One For The Future; Fosuh Mensah TIMOTHY FOSUH MENSAH PROFILE Full Name: Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah Date of   Birth: 2 nd January 1998 Place of Birth: Armsterdam , Holland Height: 1.90 m   Playing Position: Defender / Mildfielder Nationality: Holland Mensah's Debut Against Arsenal At Old Traffold In United's 3-2 win Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah is a Dutch professional footballer who plays as a defensive/central mildfielder, centre-back or full-back for English club Manchester United. Born in Armsterdam, Mensah began his career with Ajax before moving to England in 2014. He made his professional debut at left-back on 28 February 2016 in a 3-2 Premier League Win at home to Arsenal replacing Marcos Rojo in the 55 th minute. Manchester United moved to snap up the highly-rated youngster from Ajax in the summer of 2014 beating a host of top European clubs in the process and if he is able to reach his potential, the Red Devils will have a real star on the...