Skip to main content

Sakho waits on injury assessment, bruising for Ibe

Liverpool’s Mamadou Sakho will meet with a consultant on Tuesday to ascertain the extent of his knee injury, while Jordon Ibe has bruising in the same area. 

The defender limped off shortly before half-time in Sunday’s 2-1 loss to Crystal Palace after landing awkwardly following an aerial challenge with Yannick Bolasie.

Sakho waits on injury assessment, bruising for Ibe


Sakho received treatment on the pitch and attempted to continue playing, but had to be substituted as his condition failed to improve. The 25-year-old later departed Anfield on crutches with his right leg in a brace, and underwent a scan at Spire Hospital on Monday afternoon. 

Liverpool’s medical team want a thorough assessment of the problem and have pencilled in a meeting with a consultant to determine the exact issue as well as the expected length of his lay-off. The club do not expect the damage to be as serious as the anterior cruciate ligament injuries picked up by both Joe Gomez and Danny Ings.

Ibe, meanwhile, also had a scan after feeling discomfort in his knee. The winger suffered bruising to the area, which should not rule him out of the trip to Manchester City after the international break on November 21.

Gareth Southgate was waiting on the result of Ibe’s scan to determine whether the 19-year-old could travel to Bosnia on Tuesday with England’s Under-21s. 

Given the findings, the attacker is expected to remain on Merseyside, with Southgate mulling over a possible replacement. 

Loic Perrin has replaced Sakho in the France squad for the friendlies with Germany and England.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...