Skip to main content

Scholes blasts Ashley Young's 'embarrassing' dive

ashley young diving vs cska
The winger looked to win a penalty in the second half as Manchester United edged past CSKA Moscow to go top of Group B in the Champions League
Paul Scholes has branded Ashley Young “embarrassing” after the winger’s dive in Manchester United’s 1-0 win over CSKA Moscow in the Champions League.

With the match goalless in the second half and United heading for their fourth consecutive 0-0 draw, Young looked to win a penalty after colliding with Georgy Schennikov inside the CSKA area.

Young was not booked for simulation but Scholes believes diving is something the midfielder is struggling to eradicate from his game.

“Ashley needs to stop doing this,” Scholes told BT Sport.

“He knows himself he needs to stop doing this but it’s just a habit, he can’t get rid of it. 

“It’s so obvious and just needs to get it out of his game.

“It is embarrassing and he needs to get rid of it. Ashley knows that. He’s a really good player and he doesn’t need to resort to these tactics but I think it’s something ingrained in him.”

Wayne Rooney's second-half header sealed a 1-0 win over CSKA to send Louis van Gaal's side to the top of Group B. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...