Skip to main content

Memphis Depay Returns To Dutch Squad

memphis depay holland
The Oranje coach had left the Manchester United winger out of his provisional squad, suggesting he does not contribute enough, but has called him back into the team days later
Memphis Depay has been called up to the latest Netherlands side, despite coach Danny Blind initially leaving him out.

The Oranje boss had left the Manchester United forward out of his provisional squad for the upcoming friendlies against Wales and Germany because of injury, but added that he did not contribute enough to the team.

However, Blind has now included the 21-year-old in his final selection, while Arjen Robben returns to the team after recovering from his injury.

Blind has stood by his decision to leave Robin van Persie out of the squad, bemoaning the striker's poor performances at Fenerbahce.

Meanwhile, Feyenoord midfielder Marko Vejinovic gets his first call up and Jordy Clasie returns to the side after making his first appearances for Southampton.

The Dutch side take on Wales on 13 November and Germany four days later in their first games since they failed to qualify for Euro 2016.


Full Netherlands squad:

Goalkeepers: Jasper Cillessen (Ajax), Maarten Stekelenburg (Southampton), Kenneth Vermeer (Feyenoord).

Defenders: Jeffrey Bruma (PSV), Virgil van Dijk (Southampton), Daryl Janmaat (Newcastle United), Terence Kongolo (Feyenoord), Jairo Riedewald (Ajax), Kenny Tete (Ajax), Joel Veltman (Ajax).

Midfielders: Riechedley Bazoer (Ajax) Daley Blind (Manchester United), Jordy Clasie (Southampton), Davy Klaassen (Ajax), Wesley Sneijder (Galatasaray), Marko Vejinovic (Feyenoord), Georginio Wijnaldum (Newcastle United).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...