Skip to main content

Memphis DROPPED by Netherlands

Memphis DROPPED by Netherlands

The Dutch coach has followed Louis van Gaal's lead and left out the Manchester United winger, who has struggled in his first three months in England since joining from PSV
Netherlands coach Danny Blind has left Memphis Depay out of his latest national team squad, insisting the Manchester United winger doesn't do enough for the team.

Memphis, along with former United striker Robin van Persie, has been omitted from Blind's 26-man squad for the friendly fixtures against Wales and Germany in November, with the Dutch having failed to qualify for the Euro 2016 finals.

And although Memphis was expected to miss out on the forthcoming international friendlies due to injury, Blind has suggested that his lack of work for the team means he does not warrant a place in the squad.


"I think Depay fits in the profile of Dutch football in terms of quality," Blind told reporters. "However, top level football demands a player to contribute to the team. That is something Memphis isn't always doing. 

"I gave Memphis a call, and told him he wouldn't be on the list. I said: 'if you are a big name, expect criticism when things aren't going for you'."

Memphis was left out of the United squad entirely for the draw with Crystal Palace on Saturday and hasn't started for the Red Devils in the league since being withdrawn at half-time in the 3-0 defeat to Arsenal at the beginning of October.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...