Skip to main content

Robben backs Van Persie for Netherlands comeback

Robben backs Van Persie for Netherlands comeback

The Bayern Munich winger believes that the former Manchester United striker will return to the national team squad and indicated it is wrong to question him
Arjen Robben says Robin van Persie's international future should not be called into question despite the Fenerbahce strike having been left out of the latest Netherlands squad.

The Netherlands' record goal-scorer was omitted by head coach Danny Blind after struggling for form and regular playing time in the Super Lig since his transfer from Manchester United in July.

Despite speculation that Van Persie's international career could be drawing to a close, Robben insisted the centre forward still has plenty to offer, telling De Telegraaf: "Would I like to see Robin return? We don't even have to discuss that.

"He is a fantastic attacker. He has won 101 caps for Netherlands and scored 50 goals. He is our all-time top goal-scorer. When Robin is fit, he definitely adds something to the team. Why are we even questioning him?"


Robben, who acknowledged it is Blind's decision over whether or not to recall Van Persie to the national team set-up, has offered a private message of support to his colleague.

"It is up to the coach to determine whether Robin is in … good condition or form," the Bayern Munich star added.

"If I wanted to say something about it, I would mention it internally. I have not called Robin yet, but I did send him a text."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

EAGLES BOSS ROHR WILL WORK WITH YOUTHS

  New Nigeria boss, Gernot Rohr has reiterated his desire to give some newly discovered young players to blossom in the senior national team. The German tactician started fringe players like Chidozie Awaziem, Wifred Ndidi, Shehu Abdullahi  in the team’s 3-0 victory against Akwa United in a friendly game played on Wednesday. He explained to Goal that he decided to bench the established players against the Promise Keepers as he hopes to  groom a new breed of Super Eagles. “ The game against Akwa United was to see the young players in action. I am sure that we can do it together if we play as a team and live well together,” Rohr told Reporters . “We will concentrate on raising young energetic players to make the Eagles strong." He also insisted that he would also special attention to the local based players. "I was in Spain to see the NPFL All Stars because I wanted to see young players coming from Nigeria and I picked some of them for this match,” he continued. “We should ...