Skip to main content

I'd take a point against Bayern Munich - Wenger

I'd take a point against Bayern Munich - Wenger

The Arsenal manager insists his side cannot afford to sit back and defend against the Bundesliga champions but admits his side face a tough task as they fight for the points
Arsene Wenger would gladly accept a point from Arsenal's trip to Bayern Munich on Wednesday but admits they cannot afford to simply sit back and defend.

The Gunners kept their hopes of reaching the Champions League knockout stages alive with a 2-0 victory over Pep Guardiola's side on matchday three and have managed a draw and a victory in their last two visits to the Allianz Arena.

Bayern were held to a goalless draw against Eintracht Frankfurt on Friday but Wenger insists they remain a dangerous attacking team and believes playing too defensively against the Bundesliga leaders could prove fatal.

"I would sign today to take a point but to sit off Bayern," the Arsenal manager said. "But with their offensive quality, that would be difficult to maintain for 90 minutes. 

"We have to relieve the pressure whenever we can and try to score goals. That is the structure of our team, to attack.

"If we set out our players only to defend then I don't think we'll be so efficient. We have to play every time we can."


Arsenal stretched their recent run of form to five wins in six matches with a 3-0 victory away to Swansea City on Saturday and Wenger is confident his side is continuing to grow in strength.

"It was impressive because if you look at our away results since the start of the season, we have won at Crystal Palace and Watford, at Newcastle and at Swansea," he added. "So it looks like the team has stabilised and is growing as a unit. So let's grow even more.

"We are certainly more stable defensively but that is from the start of January. If you look at the points we have taken from January 1, we have taken more points than anyone else."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depay: I'm a team player

The Manchester United winger has acknowledged his form is "not very good" at present, but rejected suggestions he is selfish Netherlands winger Memphis Depay has rejected Danny Blind's suggestion that he is not a team player and insists he is working as hard as ever to rediscover his best form. The 21-year-old inspired PSV to the Eredivisie title last season but has struggled to adapt to the Premier League since joining Manchester United for €27.5 million during the summer. Netherlands boss Blind claimed last week that Depay "does not always function for the team" but still included the the forward in his squad for the upcoming friendlies with Wales and Germany. "When I spoke to Danny Blind [after linking up with Netherlands], it was a very good conversation," the Red Devils forward told  NOS . "I think I’m a team player and the other players in the team also think that. “I don’t think I’m in a difficult path of my career, as the media says...

I Have Been Sacked Six Times By The Media - Louis Van Gaal

  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has refused to discuss his future amid growing reports he will leave the club and be replaced by Jose Mourinho. When asked whether the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace would be his final match in charge, he told a press conference: "I show you the cup. I don't discuss it with my friends in the media who already sack me for six months. "I do not want to talk about leaving." Source: Goal

Who Is Fosuh Mensah?

One For The Future; Fosuh Mensah TIMOTHY FOSUH MENSAH PROFILE Full Name: Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah Date of   Birth: 2 nd January 1998 Place of Birth: Armsterdam , Holland Height: 1.90 m   Playing Position: Defender / Mildfielder Nationality: Holland Mensah's Debut Against Arsenal At Old Traffold In United's 3-2 win Evans Timothy Fosuh Mensah is a Dutch professional footballer who plays as a defensive/central mildfielder, centre-back or full-back for English club Manchester United. Born in Armsterdam, Mensah began his career with Ajax before moving to England in 2014. He made his professional debut at left-back on 28 February 2016 in a 3-2 Premier League Win at home to Arsenal replacing Marcos Rojo in the 55 th minute. Manchester United moved to snap up the highly-rated youngster from Ajax in the summer of 2014 beating a host of top European clubs in the process and if he is able to reach his potential, the Red Devils will have a real star on the...